Tuesday 25 January 2011

Tina Modotti - icon for the youth?





Last week was reading the blog of a girl a good 15 years younger than me who had listed Tina Modotti as an icon of hers. As Tina was a big favorite of mine in my late teens, it got me thinking: what makes us drawn to certain people at certain times. I dug out my 1993 edition of Margaret Hooks biog to try and remember what the appeal had been....really hoping my teen self had deeper reasons than she looks good in pictures. I'm pleased to report just a skim through was enough to bring it all back. 'A kaleidoscope of contradictions', 'A brooding melancholic and search soul.' 'Single minded and at times self serving individual.' This definitely would have chimed with my youthful self.

I was also embarrassed to remember how, at the time, I'd pictured myself growing into some huge romantic figure, a muse to creative greats - for whom my beauty inspired brilliance. UM!?!
I might turn the idea into a series of Teen Icons posts.....Siobhan Fahey, Buster Keaton, Winona Rider (in her Johnnie Depp days,) Courtney Love, Dorothy Parker??? Will have a ponder over that one, it might be a more fruitful move to focus on looking out new inspirational figures for this part of my life.
PS - Sorry if my childlike treatment of the images takes away some the photo's sensuality away! It's a grey Tuesday night and I wanted some fun.